Students returned from summer break with many enriching experiences to report, including several landscape architecture internships:
- Kyle Pretka – Langan Engineering & Environmental Services, New Haven CT
The 301 Riverside Sketch-Up model I built was of the existing conditions of the site. My boss used it to do concept sketches over. The Oxford town green Sketch-Up model was a project that we were working on that is actually in my home town. I developed a Photoshop rendering and brought that into Sketch-Up.
- Toby Zhao – CBULD, Chongqing China
I assisted the company with Adobe Photoshop renderings and Sketch-Up models. This internship gave a better sense of the foreign landscape architecture realm.
I worked in various phases of AutoCAD plan drawings on projects such as the new CCSU dining hall and a parking lot redesign for the United Technologies business campus. I also used hand rendering skills for early schematic design on residential projects as well as a courtyard for a retirement home.
- Boya Yuan – UConn Community Research & Design Collaborative, Storrs CT
I assisted Professor Kristin Schwab with the planting design and perennial garden installation for the Connecticut Governor’s Residence, as well as the development of plans for Elizabeth Park’s Sunrise Overlook. I also worked with Professor Peter Miniutti on creating an adventure playground in Fernridge Park, West Hartford.
The academic year 2014-15 is off to a great start with lots of student activities, interesting studio work, and outreach with CTASLA!
Congratulations ASLA Student Award Winners! Seniors selected to vie for the annual awards program prepared presentations that showcased their progress through the professional curriculum in early May. The faculty jury named the following award winners: ASLA Honor Awards: Ian Didow & Nick Flachsbart; ASLA Merit Awards: Ryan King & Joe Aveni; UConn Honorable Mention Awards: Brian Chmura, John Jerman & Greg Parisi.
- Congratulations Graduates! OnMay 10th our latest graduates received their diplomas at a ceremony in Gampel Pavillion. Congratulations to Joe Aveni, Zach Brown, Brian Chmura, Ian Didow, Sebastien Depestre, Nick Flachsbart, John Jerman, Ryan King, Tim Moore, Chris Nunez, Greg Parisi, Nick Pinard, Patrick Purcell, Elizabeth Roberts, Scott Severs, Adam Wesolowski – we are proud of you!!!
- Connecticut Governor’s Residence Landscape The junior planting design class worked on service-learning projects for both the Connecticut Governor’s Residence and Elizabeth Park in Hartford over the spring semester. With plant donations from Prides Corner Farms and planting assistance from UConn Master Gardeners, student Boya Yuan’s perennial garden design was implemented on June 5th.
Program Update: April 2014
- Senior LA students are busily working on their capstone studio project, located in Niantic, Connecticut. They’ve constructed a 12′x7′ model of the town center and are working on redevelopment and infill plans for key sites.
- The Juniors are working on outreach/service-learning projects with Elizabeth Park and the Connecticut Governor’s Residence in Hartford for their planting design class. They are pictured here with Governor Dannel Malloy.
- Class of 2012 alum Oliver Gaffney presented a March 26th guest lecture on the work of his firm, Site Systems, on habitat restoration, stormwater management and riparian buffers @ Old Mine Park in Stamford.
- Professors Miniutti and Schwab have returned from a successful trip to China, where they visited four programs of landscape architecture and advanced the potential for integrating Chinese exchange students into an expanded graduate LA program at UConn. They are pictured here with students and faculty at Gui Zhou Agricultural University.
Program Update: March 2014
- Alums Hired @ UConn We are proud to welcome Sean Vasington (class of ’99) and Ian Dann (class of ’05) back to campus as accomplished professionals now in key positions with UConn’s office of Planning, Architecture and Engineering Services.
- Grad Student Published Check out masters student Rachel Gilroy’s sustainable design lesson plan developed for high school curriculum published in the LEAF (Leaders in Environmental Action for the Future) Anthology. Click Here.
- Faculty Travels Professors Miniutti & Schwab journey to China this month to pursue development of an educational exchange program with Nanjing Agricultural University. Professor Westa heads a landscape architectural accreditation review team at Iowa State University.
- Monthly Discussion Forum Check out our environmental planning debates developed by this semester’s LAND 3230W students. Contribute your comments! Click Here.
Program Update: February 2014
- Re-Activated Blog We’re putting renewed energy into our program blog. Please participate in our monthly topical discussions which will be fueled by the work of students in our design writing course, and help up us reach you by leaving your email and connecting us with classmates.
- Young Bldg./Studio Renovations After a year as refugees in make-shift quarters across campus, we moved back into our better-than-new home at the base of Horse Barn Hill in late August 2013. With an expanded open-concept studio to accommodate all three levels, new presentation space, and all-new studio furnishings, the renovations provide an inspiring setting for design education.
- Fall Design Juries Thanks to visiting studio critics who contributed to juries over the fall 2013 semester: Chris Ferrero of Fuss & O’Neill, Michael Hunton of Langan Associates, Bill Weckman of Richter Cegan Associates, Brian Kent of Kent+Frost Associates, and Linda Painter, Manfield Town Planner.